Thursday, October 24, 2013

LLSS436 How to Talk so Kids Can Learn Chapter 7-8 and Movie clips

I feel like the real classroom setting was an idealistic image of what we all strive for as teachers, and the mock classroom setting in the wire was actually the more realistic portrayal of a classroom, as far as the management goes anyway. With the real classroom, the students were on task and lost in the moment of discussion. The teacher facilitated an open discussion, much like that which has been discussed in class, and this allowed students to dominate the conversation and find their own meaning in the book. I feel like this would make for much better papers to grade. I also feel like this teacher pulled a class together of all of her best students, then filmed it, but maybe I'm just being a cynic. I find myself teaching more like Pryzbylewski in these first few months. I feel like I have no disciplinary or authoritative stance, and so it is hard for me to get the kids focused. Usually my CT has to step in to ask the students to be quiet, and this reminded me of the other teacher coming into Pryzbylewski's class telling the students that they were not going anywhere until the bus passes were given back. I also feel gullible when students constantly ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water, however, a few of my students did say that I was their favorite teacher. This moment came across when the kid helped Pryzbylewski open his car. Sure, unconventional and obviously a low income school, but the mutual respect and admiration was displayed, and this made me think of my own students. 

Chapter 7 and 8 were a nice way to wrap up How to Talk So Kids Can Learn. I admittedly got a small tear when Roy said he refused to join a gang in Chicago. It was nice to see how classroom management and relationships can really influence the pathways children take.


Chapter 7 really caught my attention because I think the disconnect between school and home is so large, I have a hard time envisioning those stereotypes going away. I think it’s natural for parents to blame teachers and vice versa, and that endless cycle of figuring out who is neglecting their duties never ends. My CT recently told me that one child’s relative was upset that the child had to call home every time he was late to the classroom. The relative did not want any calls home unless it was a life-threatening emergency. Another parent was upset that my CT was not calling home enough. She wanted a call every time the student had a missed assignment. I really found it interesting that these two parents were angry with my CT and demanding two completely opposite forms of involvement, all in one day. Chapter 7 really hit home to me because I’m already seeing how pulled a teacher can feel when it comes to school and home relationships. The parents in the books were ones that took the time to come to student teacher conferences, but the reality is only 5% of my classroom’s parents bothered to show up during parent-teacher night. I completely agree that maintaining relationships is vital, but I absolutely think that it will be a learned process rather than one that comes normally. A lot of people get lost in thinking that all families care about the progression of their students, and though some do, there are also a lot of students in the classroom that do not have positive encouragement in the home, which is only making our job as teachers more difficult. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the classroom with the teacher discussing Lolita did seem like a perfect classroom. The students were very smart and had meaningful, intelligent things to say. I have to really pull discussion and opinions out of my students, so it's not as easy as the teacher made it look. However, I think that after teaching a long time, you hone the skills to create a discussion environment for your students and they get used to it. That is probably what that teacher has done.
    I hear what you are saying about Pryzbylewski's class. He seems to not have the students under control at all, so I am not sure what's going on. The ex police experience in not working in his favor as administration initially assumed. I do get what you're saying though. Once I let one kid go to the bathroom, everyone wants to go. I am going to start telling the students that they need to go before they come in the room, because bathroom privileges will only be granted in emergency situations. I am getting better at discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My CT handles that by not allowing students to leave the classroom until after the class period has ended. It is amazing how many students suddenly have bladder infections as a result.

      But as for the issue of the classroom that we see held up as an ideal, I would just have to say that I think it is important to be cautious when watching these sorts of things. They are wonderful, of course. Who wouldn't want to have a classroom like that. But we have to remember that there are probably two or three bad days and a million average days for every great discussion. That teacher probably had to teach those kids how to have discussions like that and she probably did do some scaffolding and framing for the book before hand as well. No classroom is ever going to look like that one hundred percent of the time so I think we need to not be so hard on ourselves that we imagine that we have to produce TV ready lessons every day.

      Delete
  2. A learned process...exactly. What is good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander. I find balancing difficult sometimes, but if a teacher gets to know the students and their families, it will be a lot easier. Communication is key, but we need to make sure it's appropriate for the family and not only for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comparison between the inquiry literature circle and the wire. After watching the inquiry video I thought how wonderful a classroom full of eager readers, how does she get them to read a whole book? This really a representation of how I would like my classroom to run.
    You had mentioned that you feel like you have little authority in your classroom and your CT I have found myself in the opposite spectrum where my teacher uses me to calm them down which I also feel is a pressure I didn't expect to feel.
    In correlation to the chapters I really feel like emphasizing my language and being particular in word choice is going to be the most effective skill.

    ReplyDelete