Wednesday, October 2, 2013

LLSS436 How To Talk So Kids Can Learn Chapter 1-2

My first impression of this book is how personable it is. I love any chance to learn through stories rather than here's the facts, now make sense of them. I also enjoy that the book starts out recognizing that all responsibility should not solely be on teachers, but on families as well. I know I'm guilty of responding to students, and even my own siblings in a way that only encourages bickering. It will be interesting to try these new methods, for example, restating what the child is saying in a question form really seems to help communication. I disagree with the teacher that says this is going to take so much extra time because it seems that having a bickering session with a child takes just as long. I think the challenge is more so changing our natural, instinctual responses. Not very many people like putting the effort to make this kind of lifelong communication change, but it makes sense that there would be a benefit.

In chapter 2, I was really struck with the statement, "...the more orders I gave, the more resistant they became" (pp 62). I also feel this way sometimes in my classroom, but I feel like this is really attributed to the fact that my students don't see me as an authority figure. When my teacher is in the classroom, most of the students are quiet and focused. When I am in the classroom alone, the noise levels automatically raise, no matter how many times I ask for the voices to be lowered. The idea about handing students notes seems a little silly, but maybe it will work? I still feel a little lost about how to maintain open dialogue with a student, but I'm hoping I can maintain order. I definitely do not lecture or express disappointment when students are getting loud. I might try the "standing quiet until all conversations stop" method, but I also feel like this might eat up valuable class time. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I really enjoyed reading this book. I felt it offered much practical advice. I found myself listening more to the people around me. I liked how much of the chapter focused on acknowledging students feelings. I meet with my students on Tuesday and plan to put some of this advice to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this book very approachable. I wonder, in your classroom, if you might enlist some help from your CT to keep the kids focused when she is out. Or, maybe try some sort of visual cue that lets them know you are hearing the noise go up (maybe a temperature gauge on the chalkboard that you color in as the noise rises?) It is definitely hard to establish yourself when there is a teacher "over" you, but I really think it is important to get your feet on the ground before the class is yours next semester! Maybe ask your CT for some strategy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same issue when it comes to students viewing me as a proper authority figure you're not alone on that one. Noise level and chit-chat becomes out of control when my CT leaves the room and it drives me crazy that the students are totally disregarding the fact that I'm trying to teach a lesson. Hopefully these skills will be easy to incorporate into the classroom although I too thought some of them were a bit silly.

    ReplyDelete