Sunday, June 23, 2013

Getting Started

So I have officially started the book and I love it from the get-go. Wilhelm introduces the idea of enactment strategies as not theater, and explains that props, stages, rehearsals and acting skills are not needed. The idea of bringing a text to life is using your imagination as a learning device and using the same imagination to explore all interpretations of the text. Wilhelm gave many examples of this strategy, but the one I enjoyed most was having students act out a scene from Huckleberry Finn, then having students behind those initial students acting out what's written between the lines. For example, acting out why a character chose to ask a question, or play a prank on another character. These are things that are not written in the book, however, are things that can be interpreted.

The point is that not everyone learns the same way. A lot of students are not in fact traditional learners, and for them, the creative aspect behind assigned texts is beneficial. Enactment can both engage the student, and also help them retain information. What I really enjoy is this idea that enactments are not just public displays of excerpts from the text. I have not seen how enactments can transform into written work yet, but I'm excited to see where this idea goes.

I also really enjoyed learning that enactments are motivating. It is easy to encourage our students to read, but it is hard to ensure that this task is always done. Enactments serve as a way to get students interested in the text and gives them something to look forward to. They will often find themselves asking, "What happens next?", which motivates reading. As an endnote to the introduction, Wilhelm encourages the reader to take a small test exploring how good of a motivator are you. I have included the test below:

A Motivational Survey
How Good a Motivator am I? A Self-Reflection Checklist
(based on current motivation research: (Bandura, 1998; Csikszentmihalyi, 1990; Pajares,
1996; Smith and Wilhelm, 2002)
Usually = 4 points Sometimes = 2 points Never = 0 points
____1. I believe my students are trustworthy and communicate this to them.
____2. I believe a teacher should care about students and express this caring.
____3. I believe my students are competent and can become more competent with proper
assistance.
____4. I attend to student interests and provide some level of choice.
____5. I help students to do things and to know how to do things and to talk about how
to do things.
____6. I avoid labeling students.
____7. I send explicit invitations to succeed, both to my students as a group, and
individually.
____8. I listen to what my students really say; I noodle around trying to get to know
them.
____9. I make good use of student experts in my class - getting kids to teach each other
and share their expertise.
____10. I use heterogeneous groups and interest groups to build interdependence and to
highlight and use different students’ strengths.
____11. I avoid overemphasis on competition, rewards and winning -- though I may
foster a fun, gamelike atmosphere where every one can win and succeed.
____12. I help students to evaluate themselves; to build, articulate and apply their own
critical standards.
____13. I communicate high expectations to all my students
____14. I focus on future success vs. past failure.
____15. I name what students can do, focusing on their abilities and achievement; I
celebrate student expertise.
____16. I negotiate, help set, and communicate clear goals as I highlight focus and and
higher purpose to the work that we do.
____17. I provide continuous feedback to students about how they are doing, and create
learning situations that provide immediate feedback.
____18. I frontload unit work by starting with what students already know, activating
background and building interest and a sense of purpose.
____19. I foster connections to students’ current life concerns.
____20. I encourage the reading of a variety of different kinds of texts.
____21. I encourage fun, humor and laughter in the classroom, including the reading of
humorous texts.
____22. I use artifacts and concrete objects in my teaching, and ask students to design
artifacts and concrete objects that make knowledge visible and reasoning accountable.
____23. I welcome and encourage multiple responses to class questions and projects.
____24. I model the behaviors that I value for students (e.g. I read; I am pleasant).
____25. I am passionate about reading and about ideas and I model and communicate this
passion.
____26. I teach my students for who they are and who they might be RIGHT NOW in the
present moment (not for who I think they should be and be able to do sometime in the far
off future).
____27. In my classroom, we read texts that can be related to real world situations and
activity.
____28. The activities in my classroom allow students to identify and use their expertise.
Total - 98-110+ = You are a most excellent motivator! 88-97 = Good 78-87 = Fair
>77 Try something different!!!!

I thought this test served as a great introduction to what kind of a teacher you might be, and I encourage all you readers out there to take a brief 5 minutes out of your hectic schedules to test yourselves.

I have more to read, and more to report on, so until next time, happy blogging!



4 comments:

  1. Interesting questions on the survey, makes me remind myself of which things I've been doing consistently, and which I can work on. I like the idea of having kids act out parts of a book, make up their own skits using characters from the book, etc., but it's definitely something I can do more of. Last semester I had a girl independently make a book trailer that she put on you tube which was hilarious. It prompted me to have kids create video book trailers/advertisements (they could choose) at the end of our literature circles, and some of the groups created amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of "enactment"= acting. I must get this book, I already feel that I can use it to a great extent in my future teaching, not only in Theatre, but also in Spanish. The motivational survey seems like a useful, check-up tool for teachers; it seems to contain questions that help us realize what we are doing that is helping and what we need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That self reflective survey is awesome. It is important for teacher to consistently reflect on their practices as they go through the process. Lessons and curriculum can develop as we move through time. As we work through things with our students the teacher/student/curriculum dynamic can be a fluid thing. Every student is unique and does learn in a different way and at different paces. As an art teach, I start with a framework or an armature, and what gets built up over the course of that lesson-- over time, is a little different each time. A unique experience because different groups of students bring different life experiences and thus a different interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the survey and the idea of using movement and interaction to increase motivation. I know that everyone says "the book is better than the movie," but why can't we do both? I have found with nieces and nephews that they love when I send them the book version of some of their favorite movies. They devour them and reread them more often than re-watch the movies. This idea seems even better if the actors are our students. If we allow them, and help them, to visualize the text through their peers we can give them an additional method of interacting with the text. I am glad that you pointed out how not everyone learns the same way. For some this will just be a bit of fun, but for others it may be exactly what they need to make any sort of "meaning."

    ReplyDelete