Sunday, June 23, 2013

Action Strategies for Deepening Comprehension

I chose to read Action Strategies for Deepening Comprehension by Jeffrey D Wilhelm. I love the idea that we can make text come to life, so I chose this book as it is to have many engagement techniques we can bring to a classroom. I know that for me, whenever I read a novel (teen novels are my favorite) a movie plays through my head. Of course, this is only true with great authors, but I enjoyed the idea that this happens for most everyone reading a great story. My background is in creative writing, so the opportunity to learn more about bringing the pages to life really excites me. I will have more to come when I crack open these pages later today, so until then, happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. I also love reading because of the mental images, or movie that plays while I'm reading, not to mention the sad feeling you get when finishing a great book and realizing you won't see those characters anymore. I've found that many of my struggling readers don't "play" the movie in their head when they read, maybe this is why they "hate" reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Natalia, students tend to now want to read if the reading isn't fun. The point that I most liked about this post is that "...we can make text come to life..." be it through any type of abstract concept. Fortunately, this is mainly what my teaching will be about. Theatre allows this to happen. I love to engage students in their readings through the art of acting. I know for some students this can be a bit overwhelming since they don't like to be pointed out, but I do think they will slowly discover the power that bringing to life what they read helps them understand it, and the fun that comes with it is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think any way to make text come alive is great. Whether it's acting, drawing, reading aloud, creative writing inspired by a text...any way to get the kids excited, up and moving, and willing to read on their own is a win in my book. Perhaps they don't play the text in their mind Natalia, but maybe by making text come to life we can help with that process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wilhelm has some great ideas for getting students involved in the process. Action Strategies was my second choice, and all before I even knew who Jeffery Wilhelm was. I'm glad that a few other people have chose the same book as you.... It's nice to have some variety and different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete