Sunday, November 3, 2013

LLSS 436 Adolescents on the Edge Chapters 5-6

Writing is key to deeper thinking. One of my other books talks about how it is a natural process to read something, then want to talk about it, but it takes a whole other level to sit down and write about it. The section on peer editing was interesting because I've heard a lot of pros and cons about that process. Some people, like Baca, encourage this because it introduces another element of depth to a student's work. I think through peer editing students can learn how to analyze other's work and will read on other's opinions of the same work. It will also allow for depth in thought and writing as other's present alternative perspectives during the peer editing process. Though peer editing is seemingly a good thing, I have also heard cons. One from my little brother in 9th grade was that 1/3 of his grade was dependent on a grade that a peer gave him on his paper. He did not like this because his peers were correcting all of the grammar and missing the big picture ideas. Also, he mentioned that one time a student had a different opinion then him and because of this graded him low. Sure, it's possible that my brother really was trying to defend a bad paper by blaming his peer editors, but the fact is that unless there is a focus lesson on valuable peer editing, the process can blow up in some teacher's faces. I think students need to learn how to edit for content rather than mechanics or else this will be all they focus on. I'm also not too big a fan of having students assign a grade while peer editing. I think this can turn into friends playing favorites, or a focus on mechanics, or a low/high grade on something that doesn't deserve it. I think I would incorporate peer editing, but I would make sure that this followed a lesson on what to look for while revising and that the students would not be expected to give a grade but rather valuable feedback.

I think performance and reader's theatre is fantastic in the classroom. It allows for students to experience text in a completely different way. Poetry readings, acting out texts, freeze frames, different interpretations, same content different context. All of these are great ways to explore text and find meaning in a different way. Through this, text becomes so much more rich and alive. With great literature we experience aesthetic understanding, and to bring that to life for others around us is a beautiful thing. One suggestion I read about was to have students act out a certain passage, but have other students behind those exploring the thoughts that the characters are having. What a great way to explore character development and depth! I do not think that this should be the only strategy used in a classroom, but it is without a doubt a great way to reach students, especially those that are struggling to understand a text (ie. required Shakespeare).

4 comments:

  1. Peer editing. I think that it does help in having students look at another person's work and edit. I do this in my class. I think that it should be monitored but I think that getting feedback from peers is very helpful and it seems to be working in my class. Having students analyze each others work has them really double check their own paper before they give it to their peers and they are getting better at editing their own work. I think when they know that someone is looking over their work, they try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with the grading system that woul allow a grade to be determined by classmates. I do agree that it is good to share your writing and get feedback from classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious if the teacher in your brother's classroom had any checks and balances within the grading system that you described. The thought of letting my students loose on one another isn't exactly appealing. I do love the idea of having students provide opportunities to experience real audience feedback that is immediate and relevant to what they are doing, but that kind of thing must be organized to prevent abuses - be that giving the paper A's simply because it is a friend's paper, or grading so harshly that everything fails. I appreciate your perspective on balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always done peer editing in my classroom, and think it is helpful to an extent. I am surprised that your brother receives a grade from his peers, I think that it is awfully bold of the teacher to assume that a ninth grader should grade his/her peers. I give students a grade for editing "evidence" meaning I can see that suggestions/corrections are present on the rough draft. This helps students to take the editing seriously, and puts the responsibility on the author, who needs to find a different editor if the first editor he/she chooses does not provide enough "evidence."

    As for performance in the classroom, I recently tried the "tableau" idea for the first time in my class. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical, thinking my 7th graders would be "too cool" to want to do it. Was I wrong, they loved doing it and even asked to do it the next day. I really like the idea you mention, of taking performance a step farther and having the other students reflect on what the characters are thinking during the performance.

    ReplyDelete